Helpful Ways to Keep Your Dog Safe Around the Holidays
When it comes to the holidays, there are so many things to be careful of - not gaining 10 lbs. on cookies, not getting yourself into debt just to buy some presents - and of course keeping your pets healthy, happy and safe. Here are some helpful tips from your friends at Hill's Pet Nutrition on how you can do just that.
- Provide solitude. Keep your dog's favorite place free from the holiday hubbub so he can relax.
- Reduce stress. Keep your dog's exercise schedule as normal as possible to prevent anxiety and misbehavior.
- Keep poisonous and dangerous plants away. Plants like mistletoe and poinsettia are poisonous, and ingested pine needles can cause digestive tract blockage. Keep your dog away from these plants and you just might save yourself a trip to the emergency vet.
- Decorate safely. There are a variety of decorations that can cause problems for your dog. Ribbons and tinsel are frequently implicated in veterinary emergency room visits. Light cords, when chewed or frayed, can cause severe burns or electrocution. Prevent these disasters by keeping decorations out of reach or locked in an inaccessible room.
- Make holiday trips safe and prepare for them well in advance. Take special precautions when traveling with your dog no matter how you choose to travel. Several days before departing, consult with your veterinarian about how to properly prepare for a trip.
- Table scraps aren't dog snacks. Many holiday foods are loaded with fat and sodium and can cause stomach upset. Chicken bones can easily get stuck in the digestive tract and other foods like chocolate or onions can be poisonous. In short, people food is meant for people, not dogs.
- Because chocolate can cause illness and even death in dogs, it should be avoided completely. Chocolate contains theobromine, a potent cardiovascular and central nervous system stimulant that is eliminated very slowly in dogs.
- Give your pet a tasty holiday treat without sacrificing precise nutrition. Available in many healthy varieties, Hill's Dog Treats are the perfect way to share some holiday cheer with your special dog.
- If your dog suffers from occasional stomach upset, try the advanced digestive nutrition of Science Diet® Sensitive Stomach & Skin adult dog food or a natural product like Hill's® dog food.
Mange hunde og katte har fra tid til anden problemer med maven.